If you are one of the estimated 10 million people in the UK who have hayfever*, you will no doubt recognise the familiar itchy eyes, runny nose and tickly throat that often come during the spring and summer months.
But, you don’t have to live with your symptoms. Here are our top 10 tips to reduce your hayfever symptoms.
Top 10 Tips to Reduce your Hayfever Symptoms.
- Minimise your contact with pollen. Try to keep your doors and windows closed, particularly when the pollen count is high in the early morning and early evening.
- Wear wraparound sunglasses. This will help keep pollen out of your eyes when outdoors, and can help reduce itchiness.
- Rub a small amount of Vaseline around your lower nostrils. This can help stop the pollen spores entering your nasal passages.
- Keep car windows closed when driving. You could also try pollen filters on your car’s air vents to reduce the impact of pollen spores.
- Try vacuuming regularly that has a special HEPA filter and dust with a damp cloth.
- Shower and change your clothes when you get home after being outdoors. This may help to remove any pollen on your skin, hair and clothing. Also try to avoid drying clothes outside can help to reduce the amount of pollen you’re exposed to.
- Try to avoid cutting the grass in your garden as it can trigger hayfever symptoms.
- Although nice to have, try to avoid keeping fresh flowers in your house.
- Don’t smoke or be around smoke, it makes your symptoms worse.
- Get the right treatments. Depending on the symptoms you experience different over the counter treatments can help. Look for nasal sprays for runny noses, eye drops for itchy eyes or tablets to help prevent allergy symptoms.