At this time of year we are all guilty of over-indulging in a selection of different sweets and savouries and sometimes our bodies don’t agree with the richness of these treats! Here are ways to avoid or overcome your digestive issues this festive season:
How is indigestion caused?
Indigestion can be pain or discomfort in your upper abdomen, known as dyspepsia or burning pain behind the breastbone, known as heartburn. Stomach acid irritates the lining of the digestive system, the food pipe and the top part of your bowel causing inflammation. When the acid escapes into the food pipe it can cause heartburn, a burning sensation and pain to the chest and/or throat. Over-indulgence increases the pressure inside your stomach and makes this more likely to happen.
Common symptoms associated with Indigestion include:
How to reduce the symptoms of indigestion*:
- Cut down your intake of fatty, rich/spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, chocolate and don’t over-indulge.
- Take antacids such as Rennie .These work by neutralising the stomach acid, reducing the burning sensation.
- Grab some Alignates. Alignates produce a protective barrier in your stomach that helps block acid from splashing up into your throat. Products like Gaviscon produce a protective coating that lines your stomach.
It is important that any persistent heartburn is investigated by your doctor to rule out anything more serious.
Products we recommend:
Rennie is an antacid tablet which relieves indigestion, heartburn, acid indigestion.
Rennie Peppermint 96 Tablets. £5.49
How to: Adults; 2 tablets to be sucked or chewed as required, up to 16 tablets a day.
LloydsPharamcy Heartburn & Indigestion Relief treat indigestion and heartburn for up to 12 hours by preventing your stomach from producing too much acid.
LloydsPharmacy Heartburn & Indegestion Relief, 12 tablets, £2.69
How to: As soon as you have symptoms, swallow one tablet whole with a drink of water.
Gaviscon Double Action Mint gets to action in two different ways;
1) neutralising excess stomach acid to relieve pain and discomfort,
2) forming a protective barrier over the stomach contents to soothe the burning pain in your chest.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Mint Flavour 150ml, £4.05
How to: For oral use. Shake well before use. Adults and children over 12 years: Take two to four 5ml spoonfuls after meals and at bedtime, up to four times a day.
Nexium treats heartburn and acid reflux and gives 24-hour protection
Nexium, 7 tablets, £6.99
How to: 1 tablet daily for 24 hour protection
Please read the enclosed leaflet on all medications carefully before use. Warning: Do not exceed the stated dose.
*If after 6 days you still have symptoms, do not continue treatment or buy a second pack without the advice of a pharmacist or doctor.