You wouldn’t be alone if you said you struggled to get up in the morning, in fact it is estimated that only one in four people are1.
If you want to start enjoying your mornings, why not try one of these handy hints and tricks.
From an immune system boost to some morning yoga, we have some tips to help you improve your morning routine.
Have Trouble Sleeping?
A low body temperature increases your likelihood of sleeping deeply and gives the body chance to rest and rebuild. Perhaps it’s time to turn the thermostat down?
De-stress When You Wake Up
To relieve stress and boost your mood, try deep breathing and relaxation techniques to clear your mind and start the day right.
Better still, you don’t even have to get out of bed to start the day with poise and positivity. Simply sit or lie comfortably, close your eyes, take some focused deep breaths and try to concentrate on nothing but the sound of your breath. Once you’ve got used to this sensation, you can try to visualise an ideal setting in your mind, perhaps a beautiful beach or mountain, and transfer your thoughts there.
Try Some Yoga
You could also try some simple sit-up-in-bed yoga, such as:
• Sit on your pillow cross-legged (or in any other seated position, that is comfortable)
• Inhale deeply, so that you feel your ribcage fill with air then exhale slowly, matching the length of your inhale. Take 10 breaths like this
• Next, reach your arms up, taking your time to stretch to the tips of your fingers
• Lower one arm down beside you to the bed with the other arm reaching to stretch over to the other side of your body
• Repeat on the other side
• Bring your hands behind your back on the bed, puff your chest out and let your head hang loose
• Bring your hands forward, lay them onto your bed as you let your head hang
• Sit up, close your eyes and breathe for another three breaths
Try Not to Hit Snooze
Hitting the snooze button on your alarm doesn’t give you a longer restful sleep. That’s because it’s not possible to slip back into beneficial deep sleep in the moments in between the alarm.
Getting your beauty sleep at night really is important. Your body boosts blood flow to the skin while you sleep, which means you wake to a morning glow.
Give Your Immune System a Boost:
Try hot water with 3cm of fresh-grated ginger, the juice and zest of a lemon, a pinch of cayenne pepper and honey to taste. Their anti-viral properties can boost immunity to colds and the flu and can even help with weight loss.