Just because you’re living with diabetes doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious slice of chocolate cake as part of a balanced lifestyle.
Whether you or a loved one want to reduce, or control, your sugar intake, it can be hard to find a tasty treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
That’s why we’ve created this chocolate cake which uses stevia to sweeten and dark chocolate, vanilla, almonds and strawberries to add sweet flavours.
For the sugar free chocolate cake recipe: 250g good quality dark chocolate 200g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the cake tins 100g stevia sugar alternative 125g ground almonds 4 free range eggs 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 tsp almond essence
For the sugar free chocolate frosting: 200g good quality dark chocolate 75g soft cheese 2 tsp almond essence To decorate: Fresh strawberries, washed Dark chocolate flakes, grated
Preparation time: 15 minutes Baking time: 45 minutes
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line two 9 inch cake tins with buttered, greaseproof baking paper.
- Melt together the chocolate and butter slowly over a low heat.
- Add in the stevia and continue to stir until smooth and incorporated.
- Remove from the heat and add in the ground almonds, eggs, vanilla and almond essence.
- Pour evenly into the two cake tins and bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin whilst you make the frosting.
- Melt the chocolate slowly in a pan. Allow to adjust back to room temperature but still remain melted.
- Stir in the soft cheese and almond essence to create a whipped texture. Once the cake is cool, top with the frosting, scatter with dark chocolate and fresh strawberries.