Most adults with asthma will need to pay a prescription charge for their medicines, but if you need to take a lot of medication, paying for each item individually can get quite expensive. If you’re 16 or younger, 16-18 and in full-time education or if you’re 60 or older, you can get your prescriptions for free, including your asthma medication.

If you don’t feel that your prescription is worth the expense, remember your preventer medicine works in the long term to lower your risk of having an asthma attack. So you should take it even when you feel well. If you take your preventer inhaler regularly, it should reduce your need for the reliever inhaler. If you’re struggling with the costs of your prescription, paying in advance with a pre-payment certificate could save you money.

Paying in advance for your prescription:

If you’re not exempt from paying for the prescriptions the cost for each item is currently £8.60 (Subject to change – April 2018). But you may be able to pay less if you pay in advance by applying for a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) also known as a prepaid prescription card. These currently cost £29.10 for a three-month PPC or £104 for a 12-month PPC. So, if you need to pay for two or more prescription items a month it can save you money. For example, if you get four prescription items a month you could save more than £300 a year with the 12 month PPC.

To find out more about the prepaid prescription card click here.

Claiming Benefits:

Depending on how severely your asthma affects you on a daily basis, you may be entitled to benefits.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for those not able to work because of ill health or disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16-64 that helps with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill health or a disability.

Attendance Allowance helps with any extra costs you may have if you’re 65 or over with a physical or mental disability, and need someone to look after you.

Those on a low income may also be entitled to some help with healthcare costs.

For some more information try: – to find out more about benefits and industrial injuries disablement benefit. – for advice about money issues if you’re ill or disabled – for information about financial support and occupational asthma